Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How To: Edible Pots of Gold


Last week when I was thinking of St. Patrick's Day ideas, I came up with this treat to share with you! It's a simple recipe with a twist on presentation/preparation that creates a delicious edible pot of gold. Here is how I did it:

I started off with a chocolate cookie recipe. I used Martha's chocolate sandwich cookie recipe found in her baking handbook. If you don't own this book, you can find a similar recipe here. Make the dough following the recipe's instructions. Once mixed, chill the dough for 30 minutes. As you place the dough into the fridge, preheat the oven to 350 and grease a muffin pan (I used a regular sized 12-muffin pan). After the dough is chilled, drop individual scoops of dough into each muffin mold using a cookie scoop. Using a greased spoon (or your thumb), press the dough against the bottom and sides of the muffin mold, making sure you don't spread the dough too thin (you don't want it to burn in the oven). Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, rotating the tray half way through. After the cookie cups are baked and cooled, remove  from the pan. Now you have the pots that will eventually hold your gold! 

Now to make the gold, you can do a few different things. My first idea was to use yellow m&m's, but because I decided to use ingredients I already owned, I chose to make gold frosting instead. The recipe I used was the frosting from the sandwich cookie recipe. I added food coloring to it and a drop of caramel. Once the frosting was made, I frosted the pots of gold and topped it off with gold sprinkles. The recipe I used ended up being far too sweet, so I would recommend using the butter cream recipe I formerly used for my Valentine's Day cookies. So there you have it, edible pots of gold, just in time for St. Patrick's Day! I hope that you try out this recipe, with the m&m's or the icing. As always, thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day :)

2 comments:

Don't forget to leave a comment :)