Monday, March 28, 2011

Cookie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies


Today's inspiration comes from a blog post on Picky Palate about oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies. This original post has received a lot of attention in the blogging world, though I do not follow Picky Palate's blog, I have seen quite a few other blogs linking to her stuffed chocolate chip cookies. As soon as I saw her idea, I knew that it was something I would attempt on my own. Originally I wasn't in a rush to make them, but after seeing it linked on Yahoo, I felt it was time to jump on this oreo stuffed cookies trend before it was too late. For my oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies, I chose to a recipe from a random baking book I have. Picky Palate included her own recipe, but honestly, any chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe will do. Below are my instructions for stuffed chocolate chip cookies:
First, make your chocolate chip cookie dough using whichever trusted recipe you normally use. As mentioned before, you will want to use a recipe for a chewy chocolate chip cookie, so one that forms a thicker dough. If your cookie dough is not thick enough to mold, simply chill it for a half hour or so. Once you have your cookie dough, use a cookie scoop to scoop out some dough. Normally I make level scoops, but for these cookies I found that scooping large unlevel cookies was the perfect amount. Scoop the chocolate chip cookie dough onto a single oreo. Press the dough around the oreo so that the oreo is completely enveloped with the chocolate chip cookie dough. Because chocolate chip cookie dough spreads when baked, you only want to use enough dough to cover the oreo with minimal extra. After the oreo is covered, place on your greased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating the pan half way through. Once baked, cook on a cooling rack and enjoy! I think half of the appeal to these cookies is their appearance, so make sure you cut a cookie in half to witness your masterpiece.
Now, as much as I love oreos, I wanted to try other types of cookies stuffed into chocolate chip cookies, so as a variation, I chose to make nutter butter stuffed chocolate chip cookies and... thin mint stuffed chocolate chip cookies! To make these variations, follow the directions as above. Again, you only want just enough dough to cover the cookie, so you will use a lot more chocolate chip cookie dough for the nutter butter than you would for the thin mint :)
WARNING: These cookies are very rich and calorific. I wanted to try each type of stuffed cookie tonight, so I had 3 halves of the cookies and I still feel stuffed! Don't let this scare you away from this recipe though, because this is something you don't want to miss out on. These cookies are delicious. I think that visually, the oreo stuffed cookie was the best, but its flavor was far more subtle than the nutter butter or thin mint cookie. I think your favorite would really depend on which cookie you like the most. My favorite was probably the thin mint, with the oreo stuffed cookie falling closely behind. That being said, I am not a huge fan of nutter butter cookies, but if you love peanut butter, those are for you :)

Thanks for dropping by!

1 comment:

  1. omg...................i just died a little

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to leave a comment :)