Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Help Daffodils Last Longer

Spring time means cheap, fresh flowers! Daffodils were on sale at my grocery store and I remembered stumbling upon this section on Real Simple's website that helps you maintain fresh flowers longer. I felt I should extend their short paragraph into a tutorial to show you how to help daffodils last longer. All you will need are daffodils, scissors, water, cotton balls and a vase. Here's what to do:

Cut a few cotton balls into small pieces (about as big as a pea) and set aside. Take your daffodils and cut about 2 inches off the end. Once cut, you should see that their stems are tube-like. I noticed that the flowers that were closer to bloom were the most hallow. Fill up one of your cut daffodil stems with water, then take a piece of cotton ball and use it to plug the stem. Repeat these steps with the rest of your daffodils and place in a vase of water. That's it! I will update this post to let you know how long my flowers last :)

1 comment:

Don't forget to leave a comment :)